Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- The time period to select a 65 or 95 gallon garbage contain ended July 31. Residences that did not contact City Hall to select a container size will be assigned a 95 gallon container. The fee for service with a 95 gallon garbage container is $17.40 per month.
- Recycling and garbage containers will be delivered starting on August 10. Recycling containers will come with information about what can and cannot be recycled and how to prepare your recyclables.
- Curbside Recycling and Garbage pick-up will begin in Maquoketa Thursday, August 20th and Friday, August 21st.
- Addresses on Niagara Street and east will be picked up on Thursday; addresses west of Niagara Street will be picked up on Fridays.
- The service will be provided to all residents living in single family homes, duplexes, tri-plexes and 4-plexes. Apartment complexes with five or more units, mobile home parks and all businesses will remain responsible to make arrangements for their garbage and recycling hauling.
- The first charge for the curbside service will appear on bills mailed at the end of September. The charge will be for pick-up services between August 20 and September 11. The city will continue to issue one bill that will include charges for water, sewer and curbside pick-up. MMEU bills for electricity will continue to be sent separately.
- Each household will receive two containers: one with a brown lid for garbage and one with a yellow lid for recycling. All recycling containers are 65-gallon. There are two sizes available for garbage: 95-gallon and 65-gallon. A 95-gallon holds 9 tall kitchen garbage bags and is recommended for households of 3 or more people. A 65-gallon container holds 6 tall kitchen garbage bags and is recommended for households of 2 or less or larger households that are dedicated to recycling. Containers can be viewed at City Hall.
- The monthly charge using a 95-gallon garbage container will be $17.40. Using the 65-gallon container for garbage the monthly charge will be $16.30. Recycling is included with garbage pricing.
- In July a survey was posted to select 95 or 65 gallon containers.
- The is no charge for the containers. They are the property of the hauler and stay at the house or apartment when the occupant moves.
- Recycling will be single stream and will not require sorting. A list of items that can and cannot be recycled will be in the recycling tote when they are delivered to homes in early August.
- Additional Information will be provided as it become available.